Old Home Week: Let's eat!
GREENCASTLE - Good food of all kinds is always a highlight of Old Home Week, Greencastle's triennial community reunion running this year August 6-13.
Dining selections can range from casual on-the-street eats to the more formal setting of a restaurant, from luncheons such as one at the Civic Club, to the various class reunions held at local venue, to a proper tea party sponsored by the Women's Club. (For class reunion luncheons, check the schedule on the website, www.oldhomeweek.org.
Just to provide an idea of what is available to nosh on, here is partial list (some of them are complementary, others not):
- a hearty breakfast at the Kauffman Community Center on Ruritan Drive, sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 413, Saturday, August 6 (donations welcome);
- an orange creamsicle float at the officers of the Chamber of Commerce, E. Baltimore St. on Monday, August 8;
- hot dogs and chips at the Hometown Hardware Store on 10 E. Walter Ave., on Tuesday, August 9;
- a picnic lunch courtesy of Corning Credit Union at S. Antrim Way, on Tuesday, August 9;
- a spaghetti and meatball supper at the Greencastle-Antrim High School cafeteria, provided by Shady Grove Troop and Pack 95, on Tuesday, August 9, and Wednesday, August 10 (there is a fee);
-an ice cream social at the Greencastle Presbyterian Church after the official Old Home Week photo is taken on Wednesday, August 10;
-a tea party sponsored by the Women's Club at the Greencastle Church of the Brethern on Wednesday, August 10;
- a light breakfast at the VFW Post 6319 at S. Washington St. (a food pantry donation is welcome);
-root beer floats at the office of BB&T Bank on the square on Thursday, August 11;
- the food truck at First Community Bank of Mercersburg at 821 S. Washington St., with food from Smokin' D's Roadhouse BBQ, Romeo's Cafe, and Rita's Ice of Hagerstown, plus fee soda and popcorn Friday, August 12; and
-the 39th triennial Old Home Week Alumni Banquet at Blue Heron Events Center, 407 S. Washington St., with a reception followed by a buffet dinner sponsored by the Greencastle-Antrim Education Foundation. (Reservations required and there is a fee.)