Skip the chain restaurants this Cinco de Mayo and find some great Mexican food and drink specials at your favorite downtown York restaurants, instead.
To celebrate the Mexican holiday, 10 downtown restaurants will serve items, including tacos, margaritas, quesadillas, and even a Margarita cupcake, throughout the day on May 5.
These Cinco de Mayo specials are part of York City Independent Restaurant Association's new series of events to recognize national food holidays in downtown York. The first event was held April 12 for National Grilled Cheese Day.
Here's a look at some of the Mexican food and drink offerings from participating restaurants.
And Everything Beyond Bakery & Gift Shop (34 W. Philadelphia St.)
- Margarita Cupcake: margarita cake with key lime cream cheese frosting, topped with fresh lime – $2.50
Bair's Chicken (34 W. Philadelphia St.)
- Loco Yoco Taco – two for $6
- Taco salad in a taco bowl – $7.95
Baron Von Schwein (35 W. Market St.)
- Carnitas tacos: Roast pork, jicama slaw and avocado crema in a corn or flour tortilla – $1.50
The Busy Bee (34 W. Philadelphia St.)
- Elk taco walking bowl: Spiced elk, salsa, aged cheddar and fresh salsa – $8
Central Family Restaurant (400 N. George St.)
- Taco quesadilla – $8.50
- Taco salad in a tortilla bowl – $8.50
- Honey-lime sweet potato, black bean and corn tacos with cheddar and salsa – $6.99
I-ron-ic (256 W. Philadelphia St.)
- Spicy Mexican Chocolate Latte: Double shot of espresso and chocolate syrup in a cup rimmed with habañero sugar – $5
Mudhook Brewing Co. (34 N. Cherry Lane)
- Quesadillas – $5
- $1 off beers and wines from 4-10 p.m.
Otto's Kitchen & Cocktails (19 N. George St.)
- Marinated pork tenderloin tacos, Otto's famous chili rub, grilled pineapple – $2
- El Jimador Margaritas – $5 during happy hour (4:30 to 6:30 p.m.)
Roosevelt Tavern (50 N. Penn St.)
- Pulled pork tacos with mango-pineapple salsa – $10
- Cucumber-Jalapeno Margaritas – $9
Tutoni's (108 N. George St.)
- Rockfish Shrimp Tacos – $9