FRANKLIN COUNTY >> Summer is here for all intents and purposes, and as of Friday so is carnival and fair season.
Family friendly thrills abound every month.
• Mont Alto Carnival: June 12 to 20 at the carnival grounds near the Mont Alto Volunteer Fire Company at 517 S. Main St. in Mont Alto. To celebrate the carnivals's 40th year, a parade will take place Saturday afternoon, from Willow Street to the carnival grounds. Rides from Penn Wood Amusements and 10 cent bingo will take place each night. A full schedule of live music includes the bands Chasin' Moody, Rivers Bend Band, Just Us, Half a Wreck, Drew Adams Project, Traditions Unleashed, Richie Fields Band and Silver Eagle Band, as well as a karaoke contest on June 17. Fireworks will go off June 19. Get more information at www.MontAltoFire.com.
• Franklin County Fair: July 6 to 12 at the Franklin County Fairgrounds, just south of Chambersburg at 3725 Warm Spring Road. The fairgrounds will open July 5 for the horse show at 11 a.m. and the Annual Vesper's Service at 6:30 p.m., and food stands will be open, but rides will not operate until July 6. After that, admission is $10 per as many people as can fit in a vehicle (parking is free) and $5 for single walk-in admission; however, admission is free until 1:30 p.m. July 11, which is Family Fun Day. Rides are an additional fee, by wristband or tickets. Attractions: Franklin County Fair Queen and Princess pageants, "Franklin County's Got Talent," Barnyard Olympics, a demolition derby, live music each night, and much more. Get more information at www.FranklinCountyFair.org.
• Greencastle Fireman's Carnival: July 13 to 18,on the grounds of Blue Heron Events (formerly the Special Events Center), at 407 S. Washington St., Greencastle. In addition to the rides, games and other attractions for the young, old and those in between, there will be live music every night: Mountain Ride (traditional and progressive bluegrass), July 13; The Beach Bumz ("The Ultimate Beach Band"), July 14; Karaoke Night, July 15; Alex Hilton Band (country/country rock), July 16; The Reagan Years (80s covers), July 17; and Smokin Gunnz (Southern rock), July 18). See the flyer at www.twp.antrim.pa.us.
• Fayetteville Firemen's Carnival: July 13 to 18 on the fire station grounds at 101 W. Main St., Fayetteville. More information will be coming.
• Shippensburg Fair: July 19 to 25, Shippensburg Fairgrounds, 10131 Possom Hollow Road, just outside of downtown Shippensburg. There will be some events on Sunday, but rides will start swinging and spinning early Monday evening. Food and craft vendors and other attractions will also open. The Shippensburg Fair Queen and Little Miss pageants will also take place Monday, and will produce royalty who will make appearances at events throughout fair week. Livestock shows will dominate the fair's daytime schedule. In addition to the rides open later each day, there will also be live music and other performances each day. To learn more, go to www.ShippensburgFair.com.
• Mercersburg Lion's Club Fair: Aug. 9 to 15 at Lions Club Community Park on Park Avenue, Mercersburg. See the club's Facebook page, www.facebook.com/LionsClubMercersburgPA.