WAYNESBORO >> Kids are invited to be "Destination ARTS! Detectives" in a scavenger hunt this weekend as part of the weekly Destination ARTS!
Participants will solve clues relating to works of art on display. Prizes will be awarded upon completion of the scavenger hunt, which will take them to five galleries clustered within two blocks. Successful detectives will also be eligible to win one of several grand prizes to be drawn on October 4.
Here are the featured art exhibits and events this week:
Thursday, Oct. 1
• Marjorie Tressler, Gallery 50 volunteer curator/director, will continue her demonstration of painting a landscape in oil from 1-3 p.m. at the gallery, 50 W. Main St.
• At 42 West Arts Co-op, 42 W. Main St., Donna Bingaman will be demonstrating oil painting portraits of people and pets from 12:00 to 2:00 pm.
Friday, Oct. 2
• Wine Down Friday activities and receptions are planned at Gallery 50 42 West ARTS Co-Op (42 W. Main St.), Gallery 20 East (20 E. Main St.), and the Ceramic Arts Center of Waynesboro (13 S. Church St.) between 5:00 and 8:00 pm. From 5:30-8:00 pm, Frank 'n' Bob will be performing in Center Square. This duo of two acoustic guitarists from the Woodstock Era brings a unique spin to classic rock favorites. Patric Schlee will be creating original improvisational music on flute and drums at 42 West ARTS Co-Op. The public is invited to join in.
Saturday, Oct. 3
• Market Day: From 9:00 to 4:00 pm, Main Street Waynesboro will offer outdoor entertainment, children's activities, a chili-cook off, and many craft and food vendors. The art galleries will be open during normal hours during this event. For more information about Market Day, see www.mainstreetwaynesboro.org.
• The Contemporary School of the Arts will be hosting an art auction fundraiser with doors opening at 1:00 pm and bidding from 2:00 to 4:00 pm. There is no bidding fee required, and wine, cheese, and light refreshments will be provided. Artists are invited to donate pieces of their art to the auction, and can drop donations off at the Contemporary School at 10 East Main St. in Waynesboro.
• Pat Beard will demonstrate spinning alpaca yarn from 1 -3 p.m.at 42 West Arts Co-op. By combining interesting colors with textures and a touch of shiny yarn, Pat weaves fabric on old-fashioned looms. Although a number of pieces are woven from the same warp threads, each piece is different. After the weaving, each panel is washed before sewing on old industrial machines. Traditional scarves and shawls are carefully hand finished. Pat does all her own weaving and sewing.
Sunday, Oct. 4
• Across the Pond, "The most booked Celtic band in Central PA," will be performing in Center Square from 2-4 p.m. The trio features Michael Morrison (guitar, mandolin, flute and vocals); Chuck Krepley (fiddle, guitar and vocals) and Dan Diviney(whistles, bodhrán and vocals).
There are a number of ongoing shows going on as well. For more information visit www.artsalliancegw.org or call 717-655-2915.