The July 3 First Friday in York is about all-things American as business set out to show their most patriotic products and country-loving activities.
From tips for summer skincare to grilling accessories, this First Friday will kick off Fourth of July weekend in style.
If you're headed downtown, check out these top five, must-see events:
1. York City Pretzel Company's pretzel dog eating contest
Nothing gets people to chant "USA" quite like a food contest. Visit York City Pretzel Company's booth set up on North Beaver Street, where you can see how many pretzel-wrapped hot dogs you can down in five minutes. The contest starts at 6:30 p.m. The winner gets a $100 York City Pretzel Company gift card.
2. CoWork's photo exhibit
Get ready for CoWork 155's look back at the first year of Kable House Presents during the opening reception of a new photo exhibit, 155 W. Market St. Launched in 2014, the season included 16 concerts. Photos were taken by Dave Wagenknecht.
3. Royal Square for dessert
Head to Royal Square to satisfy your sweet tooth. Dessert food trucks, such as Savory's Pumpkin Funnel Cakes and MoJoe Kool Hawaiian Shave Ice Snoballs will be serving up sweet treats all evening. 56 Provisions, 56 S. Duke St., also will have whoopie pies and Redeux, 113 S. Duke Street, will offer a fresh fruit dessert bar.
4. The Parliament's family-fun activities
Check out the American-themed art show, "Guess We're Already There," while enjoying some sidewalk chalk art and Fourth of July-themed treats at The Parliament, 116 E. King St. A "fizzing fireworks" activity also will help visitors get into the celebratory mood.
5. Put on your dancing shoes
York Social Dance Studio, 324 W. Market St., has complimentary swing dance lessons from 7:45 to 8:30 p.m. on First Friday, where beginners can learn all the basic moves. Dances kick off at 9:15 p.m. and go until midnight. General admission is $7, college/high school students $5. Show your business card for a local downtown business and get $1 off.
Other things to check out:
• York Blue Moon, 361 W. Market St., has buy one, get one appetizers during First Friday.
• Prime Art Supply Company, 128 E. King St., will help you make your own tye dye T-shirts for $10.
• King's Courtyard Artists' Collective, 124 E. King St., will celebrate its third anniversary with cake, refreshments and a reading by Carla Christopher.
• Baron von Schwein, 35 W. Market St, will have live music by Macy K and a special art appearance by Amanda Cleal, with her cartoon pig, Rupert and friends.
• Arthur & Daughters, 49 N. Beaver St., will feature 25 percent off its Made in the USA handbag collection.
You might also like
If you go
What: First Friday
When: 5 to 9 p.m. July 3
Where: Participating downtown locations
Parking: North Beaver Street will close at 4:30 p.m. East King Street will close at 6 p.m. Free parking is available at meters on other downtown streets and parking garages after 5 p.m.
For more information: Visit downtownyorkpa.com.
Follow @AbbeyZelko13 on Twitter for live updates.