Fill up your calendar with these April races.
April has something for every kind of runner, or runner-to-be in York. Sure, there's the traditional 5K — 3.1 miles of running your heart out. There are also opportunities to get down and dirty with a mudfest run, down a glass of hard cider after running through an orchard, or see if that superhero cape you've been stowing in your closet can help you set a personal record. Grab some friends, pick a race that's your speed and get running.
Want to take a step up from the 5K distance but not quite ready for a half-marathon? This 10-mile race benefits area arts organizations like the Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts and the Pennsylvania Regional Ballet. The course features great views of the Susquehanna River and ends on City Island.
- When: Runners start at 9 a.m. Walkers start at 8:15, April 2.
- Where: City Island, Harrisburg
- Entry Fee: $55 until race day. $60 day of race.
- Website: capital10-miler.com
- Contact: Race Director Mary Lou Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-877-1831
York College Athletic's inaugural half marathon. Runners will race along the rail trail for this out-and-back half marathon. There's also a junior obstacle challenge for kids ages 4-14 who have a parent or guardian registered for the half-marathon.
- When: 7:30 a.m. April 10
- Where: York College, 441 Country Club Road, Spring Garden Township.
- Entry Fee: $75 for the half-marathon. $15 per family for the junior obstacle challenge.
- Website: www.Spartanhalf.com
- Contact: The Spartan Advance 717-815-2217
Dress up as your favorite movie character for this 3.1 mile race. Runners who place in their age group can have their medal engraved on site. Not the fastest? Dress to impress and you could have a shot at winning in the costume category.
- When: 8 a.m. April 16
- Where: Northeastern High School, 300 E. High Street, East Manchester Township.
- Entry Fee: $25 until race day. $30 day of race.
- Website: Search "movie madness" at usroadrunning.com
- Contact: Race director Toni Arbogast at Toni@usroadrunning.com or 570-916-3882
Runners of this 5K will see the home of Jack's Hard Cider up close as they run through the orchard and rolling hills of the winery ground. Participants will get a glass of cider (or soda) after the finish. Like more doughnuts with your run? Add on the hungry apple option when you sign up and you'll be rewarded with a doughnut at each mile of the race. Eat them all before you cross the finish line for a special hungry apple medal.
- When: Wave start, with times between 9 a.m. and 10:50 a.m. April 16.
- Where: Hauser Estate Winery, 410 Cashtown Road Franklin Township.
- Entry Fee: $45 until April 3. $50 April 4 through April 15. $55 day of race.
- Website: www.thehardciderrun.com
This is the last of three races in the Leg Up Farm Mudfest Series. Not your traditional 5K, runners should plan to get dirty as they off-road in this race that benefits Leg Up Farm. Bring the kids for a race just for them with characters including Kylo Ren, Iron Man, and Elsa following the 5K.
- When: 9 a.m. April 23
- Where: Leg Up Farm, 4880 N. Sherman St. Extended, East Manchester Township.
- Entry Fee: $25 until race day. $30 day of race. $10 kids fun run.
- Website: www.legupfarm.org
Celebrate the 10th running of this race that helps spotlight the YWCA mission of eliminating racism and empowering women. Choose between the timed 5K race or get colorful with the untimed color splash. Runners in this fun run will be showered with colored powder at three different locations along the route.
- When: 9 a.m. April 30.
- Where: YWCA, 320 E. Market St., York.
- Entry Fee: $30 for individuals over 15. $10 for kids 14 and under.
- Website: www.ywcayork.org
- Contact: email@example.com or 717-845-2631 extension: 127