Try limited-time Oktoberfest dishes in York
Oktoberfest Week is coming to York in September and local restaurants are already preparing their menus to satisfy your cravings for German-style food.
The week will be similar to the Crab and Burger weeks earlier this summer, with restaurants creating special menus around the Oktoberfest theme.
"I think when you look through the menus, you have the basics that you would expect, but everyone just takes it up a level," Meagan Feeser, organizer of the York City Independent Restaurant Association said. "I was excited (for the week) as the menus were coming in."
In total, 13 restaurants will participate in the week-long event, with more that could be added as the week approaches. Oktoberfest week will be kicked off by a sold out event in Cherry Lane on Sept. 17.
Here are the specials that have been announced:
- Sauerkraut Kroketten — Sausage and sauerkraut croquettes with a sweet mustard dipping sauce — $2 a piece or $5.25 for three
Baron Von Schwein
- CurryWurst — $6.00
- Cheesy Potato Beer Soup — $3.50
The Busy Bee
- Charlottenburger Currywurster — Grilled bratwurst with caramelized onions and Drew's special Curry Catsup on a toasted hoagie roll — $8.50
- Heinrich's Bavarian Brötchen — Drew's Bier Pulled Pork and Spicy Sauerkraut on a York City pretzel roll — $8.50
- Bauren Frühstück — fried potatoes, caramelized onions, cabbage and bier sausages hashed together with two eggs on top — $7.50
- Die Mauer — fried potatoes, caramelized onions, bier sausage, bacon, two eggs and two pieces of Frankreich Toast with butter and maple syrup. — $9.00
Central Family Restaurant
- Bratwurst, Weisswurst (veal sausage), Bauernwurst (smoked sausage with mustard seed)
- Leberkase and Leberwurst sandwiches served with Blaukraut (cooked red cabbage)
The Fizzy Bee
- Fruchtsaft Smoothie — An assortment of fruit smoothie concoctions — small $3.50, large $5.00
- Die Schweitz — A lemon egg cream, featuring milk, vanilla syrup and fresh lemon juice with a touch of fizz. There aren't eggs in the drink. — $2.50
Holy Hound Taproom
- Pork Schnitzel — Served with grilled asparagus, crab and hollandaise on a brioche roll
The Left Bank Restaurant & Bar
- Lunch — Pork Schnitzel Pretzelwich with caramelized onion, beer cheeses and left bank mustard.
- Dinner — Wayne Nell Pork Chop Schnitzel with rye spaetzle, Left Bank red cabbae sauerkraut and lingonberry jus.
Mudhook Brewing Co.
- Cornbeef Cabbage Soup
- Pretzel bites — York City Pretzel Co. pretzel bites with spicy beer mustard or honey mustard
- Sweet or Spicy Sausage — Served with your choice of spicy beer mustard, honey mustard or sauerkraut with a side of German potato salad
Offcenter Grill at the Yorktowne Hotel
- Konigsberger Klopse (German meatball) with spaetzle and red cabbage — $15.95
- Bratwurst, potatoes and cabbage — $13.95
- Zitronenkuchen (German lemon cake) — $5
Otto's Kitchen & Cocktails
- OK Schnitzel with mashed potatoes, fried Brussels sprouts, brown sauce and a lemon slice — $18
Pepper's Grille at Central Market
- Brat pretzel roll sliders topped with beer-braised onions and beer cheese and served with a sside of traditional German-style warm potato salad — $9
Rockfish Public House
- Bratwursta Roll — Beer-bathed bratwurst stuffed in a New England style toasted brioche roll with October Fest Beer mustard — $7.95
Roosevelt Tavern (Lunch)
- Spatzle Geschnetzletes — Spatzle with a creamy Hunter's sauce — $12
- Bratwurst Reuben — Bratwurst on a toasted steak roll with signature sauce, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese with house-made chips. — $9
- Knockwurst Sandwich — Knockwurst topped with sauerkraut and Cheese Whiz on a brioche bun with house-made chips — $9
Roosevelt Tavern (Dinner, served at the pub only)
- Bratwurst Reuben — Bratwurst on a toasted steak roll with signature sauce, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese with warm German potato salad — $10
- Knockwurst Sandwich — Knockwurst topped with sauerkraut and Cheese Whiz on a brioche bun with warm German potato salad — $10
- House-made Italian style sausage on a York City pretzel roll, local beer cheese fondue, caramelized onions and peppers.
White Rose Bar and Grill
- Hand-breaded and fried pork cutlet topped with sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and October Fest Beer mustard sauce on a toasted pretzel roll served with house-made chips. — $9.95
York Blue Moon (Lunch)
- Weisswurst and Krout sandwich with latkes
- Weiner Schnitzel, latkes with sour cream and red cabbage
York City Pretzel Company
- Matt's Bavarian Breakfast — Available from 8 am. to noon. Assorted meats and cheeses, a hard boiled egg and a warm pretzel roll with jam and butter.
- Obatzda Dip — Paprika-spiced cheese spread flavored with a hint of beer.
- Black Forest Sandwich — Available 11:30 a.m. until supplies last. Thinly-sliced German Black Forest ham, pepper jack cheese and jam on a toasted pretzel roll.
- Skip Reinheimer's Favorite Sandwich — Available 11:30 a.m. until supplies last. German braunschweiger, thinly sliced onions and German mustard on white bread. Also available Sabol style on a Martin's Potato Roll.