It is wine festival season in Central Pennsylvania. Wine events offer a great opportunity to try wines from many different wineries, shop vendors and enjoy entertainment.
Here are a few tips to help make the most of the season.
Take note wine event promoters, listing wines available at each event is helpful as well as a map of the event.
Tips for attending a wine festival
• Make sure to invite several of your favorite friends to the festival. It makes for a fun festival to be surrounded by friends.
• Go to the event website and see which wineries are in attendance. This can help you decide which events you want to attend.
• Check to see what they allow in. Some will allow you to bring a pop-up, tent, cooler, food, etc. Make a day of it and enjoy the day.
• Buy your tickets early. Most wine festivals offer discounted pricing if you purchase early.
• Arrive early to obtain the best spot and lay down base camp. I like to be near the music to make the day even more enjoyable.
• If there is a map, plan your strategy. Do you have favorite wineries you want to visit first? I usually taste first and make a list of my favorites. At the end of the day I will make my purchases to take home.
• If the lines aren't long, ignore previous tip and make the purchase now. Many festivals have a coat check type system where you can pick up the wine at the end of the day so you don't have to carry it around.
• Take time to eat. You don't want to get dehydrated.
• There are often vendors selling things — save that for last and concentrate on the tasting. Do you really need those wine glass necklaces? Maybe a nice piece of jewelry will suffice.
• Have a designated driver or call a car service so you can enjoy the festival to its full potential.
• Take your favorites home to enjoy later. Many of the wineries have come far away and are not available in your local liquor store. Plan your departure a little before it ends or a little after so you are not in a traffic jam.
Enjoy a day trying something new and attend one of the wine festivals this season. Cheers!
You might also like
Wine in the Woods
5950 Symphony Woods Road
Taste of Pennsylvania Wine and Music Festival
334 Carlisle Ave., York
Great PA FlavorFest
May 23 and 24
Mount Hope Estate
2775 Lebanon Road, Manheim
Lehigh Valley Food and Wine Festival
The Outlets at Sands Bethlehem
77 Sands Blvd, Bethlehem
SIP Wine in the Park
Musser Park, Lime & Chestnut St., Lancaster
13401 Beaver Damn Road
Hunt Valley, Md.
Brandywine Food & Wine Festival
Greater Chester Valley Sports Association
137 Line Road, Malvern
Jazz & Wine Festival
Tickets: $30 for a weekend pass
Sept. 11 — Sept. 13
5300 N. Front St., Harrisburg
Gettysburg Wine & Music Festival
$20 in advance, $25 gate admission
Sept. 12 — Sept. 13
95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg
Wine in the Woods Festival
Tickets: $12 in advance $15 gate admission
3113 Centennial Road, Hanover
$20 Wine $40 Beer
334 Carlisle Ave., York
The Philadelphia Food & Wine Festival
Oct. 16–18, 2015
Valley Forge Casino Resort
1160 1st Ave., King of Prussia