Rescheduled: fireworks around Hanover, Gettysburg
A crowd watches the fireworks at last year's July4York celebration at Santander Stadium.
UPDATE, July 5, 2016:
Get your sparklers and star-spangled bandanas ready, folks. Gettysburg's July 4 fireworks have been rescheduled for this evening after the somewhat glum conditions in the area last night. The party kicks off at 5 p.m. at Memorial Field at Gettysburg College, with The Willys performance scheduled for 6:30 p.m., a concert from the Gala Pops Orchestra at 8:30 p.m. and fireworks set for dusk, according to Destination Gettysburg.
Gettysburg's annual July 4 concert and fireworks was born from a partnership between Destination Gettysburg and Gettysburg College.
The college was planning to host a concert, and Destination Gettysburg wanted to offer fireworks to meet visitors' demands for a display during the holiday. So, in 2013, they decided to combine their resources.
"The first year we held it we had 500 people attend," said Katie Barako, the college's special projects coordinator. "Last year, we had 5,000."
The display is one of several set to take place throughout York and Adams counties this summer. While many of these displays are centered around the July 4 holiday, others will take place following special events throughout the summer.
Gala Pops Orchestra will play patriotic and Broadway melodies during this year's event in Gettysburg, Gettysburg Chamber Orchestra Director Norman Nunamaker said.
Food and drinks — including beer and wine — will be available for sale starting at 5 p.m., with music from The Willys starting at 6 p.m. before the orchestra takes the stage at 8:30 p.m.
"We are happy how it has grown," said Carl Whitehill, Destination Gettysburg's communications director, of the Gettysburg event. "It's geared toward locals and visitors."
More fireworks displays:
Gettysburg Fireman's Carnival
- When: The carnival is scheduled for June 28 through July 2, opening at 6 p.m. nightly. Fireworks are set for 11 p.m. July 1.
- Where: Gettysburg Rec Park, 545 Lone Lane, Gettysburg
- More: Bands are scheduled to play June 30 and July 2.
Gettysburg Community Concert and Fireworks
- When: Events run from 5 to 10 p.m. July 4. Fireworks start at 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Memorial Field at Gettysburg College
- More: Free admission
Hanover Liberty Day
- When: The Liberty Day 10K starts at 8:15 a.m. July 4. Fireworks are at 9:30 p.m.
- Where: The race starts at Moul Field, 15 Moul Ave., Hanover. Fireworks will take place behind Lowe's on Eisenhower Drive off Wilson Avenue.
- More: A two-mile run starts at 8:25 a.m. at Moul Field.
- Parking: Lowe's and Home Depot's parking lots are available during the firework display.
Old Fashioned July 4th Celebration
- When: Events start at 11 a.m. July 4. Fireworks start at 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Carroll County Farm Museum, 500 South Center St., Westminster, Maryland
- More: Festivities include onstage entertainment, children's games, food and crafts.
Fairfield July 4th Celebration
- When: 2 p.m. July 4
- Where: 5685 Fairfield Rd., Carroll Valley
- More: DJ; pony rides; climbing wall; mechanical bull; hay rides; obstacle course; moon bounce; craft and food vendors; basketball tournament; open mic; lip sync competition; fireworks start at 9:45 p.m.
United Hook and Ladder Co. Fireman's Fair
- When: 6:30 p.m. July 12 through 16
- Where: 21 North Bolton St., New Oxford
- More: Fireworks start at 9:30 July 13
- When: 5:30 p.m. July 18 through 23
- Where: 57 Hanover St., Codorus Township
- More: Bands will play every night at 7 p.m. and fireworks start at 10:30 p.m. July 20.
South Mountain Fair
- When: 4 to 10 p.m. Aug. 2 through 6
- Where: 615 Narrows Rd, Biglerville
- More: Fireworks start at 9:30 p.m. Aug. 4