Get your fill of good BBQ in Delta
Delta may be a small borough near the Pennsylvania-Maryland border, but the makings of a big festival are brewing.
Whether your quest for weekend fun features good barbecue, live music or competitive games of horseshoes and cornhole, the Downtown BBQ Festival in Delta should be your target.
“It’s a fun-filled day to get families out in the community to enjoy the food and festivities,” said Rick Farrington, the event coordinator.
This will be the first year for the festival, but Farrington has lofty goals for the event, hoping the festival turns into an annual event and a nationally-sanctioned barbecue competition.
Farrington hopes to draw large crowds from both York County and Harford County, Maryland.
Any barbecue event isn’t complete without a full line of meat options and the Downtown BBQ Festival is chalk full of favorites. Barbecue meats will be on sale at the event, including ribs, pork, brisket and roast beef. All with a variety of sauces.
The event will also feature the “2016 Captain of the Sauces,” a competition to see who can concoct the best barbecue sauce.
Contestants must each submit one gallon of their best sauces, which will be sampled by both the crowd and multiple judges. Winners will be announced that same evening.
Other events include:
- Live music by the Torn Blue Jeans
- A keg toss for those 18 and older with cash prizes for the top three longest distances
- A Zumba demonstration by Model A Fitness. The audience is allowed to participate.
- Pony rides by Horsepower Farms of Delta
- A family feature film presented by Guppy Gulch Camp
Free parking is offered with the event at seven areas:
- The Delta-Cardiff Volunteer Fire Company — 500 Main St., Delta
- Delta Chapel — 100 Chapel St., Delta
- Behind DP Lounge/Delta Pizza — 533 Main St., Delta
- Behind First Baptist Church — 629 Main St., Delta
- Behind Harkins Funeral Home — 600 Main St., Delta
- Behind Ken Jones Insurance — 617 Main St., Delta
- Taylor’s Service Center — 403 Main St., Delta
If you go…
What: Downtown BBQ Festival 2016
Where: In the Main Street/College Avenue area of Delta
When: 5 to 11 p.m. Saturday, July 30